Learning Apache OpenWhisk: Developing Open Serverless Solutions
English | July 3rd, 2019 | ISBN: 1492046167 | 394 pages | EPUB | 8.64 MB
Serverless computing greatly simplifies software development. Your team can focus solely on your application while the cloud provider manages the servers you need. This practical guide shows you step-by-step how to build and deploy complex applications in a flexible multicloud, multilanguage environment using Apache OpenWhisk. You’ll learn how this platform enables you to pursue a vendor-independent approach using preconfigured containers, microservices, and Kubernetes as your cloud operating system.
Michele Sciabarrà demonstrates how to build a serverless application using classical design patterns and the programming language or languages that best fit your task. You’ll start by building a simple serverless application hands-on before diving into the more complex aspects of the OpenWhisk platform.
• Examine how OpenWhisk’s serverless architecture works, including the use of packages, actions, sequences, triggers, rules, and feeds
• Learn how OpenWhisk compares to existing architectures, such as Java Enterprise Edition
• Design applications using common Gang of Four design patterns
• Use architectural design patterns such as model-view-controller to combine several OpenWhisk actions
• Learn how to test and debug your code in a serverless environment